Pages

Followers

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Speak Up

Guys, I am wiped out - energy wise, that is. I can already tell it's going to be one of those days. Didn't help that I came in to work and was welcomed with a snippy e-mail from my boss. Ugh.
 
Last night, I had a mandatory police orientation to attend in order to be able to take their physical and written exam this Saturday. I went, sat there for 2 hours with a really sore ass (thank you dinky high school cafeteria seats), drove home in a mini snow storm, and now I'm cranky.
 
One of those damn days.
 
Anyway, I came across an article on Yahoo that just warmed my heart. Jacob Rudolph, a highschooler, was given the Class Actor award and this was his response:
 
"Most of you see me every day. You see me acting the part of "straight" Jacob, when I am in fact LGBT. Unlike millions of other LGBT teens who have had to act every day to avoid verbal harassment and physical violence, I'm not going to do it anymore. It's time to end the hate in our society and accept the people for who they are regardless of their sex, race, orientation, or whatever else may be holding back love and friendship. So take me, leave me, or move me out of the way. Because I am what I am, and that's how I'm going to act from now on."
 
There is nothing more that I love than seeing people stand up for theirselves. I just absolutely love it.
 
I can only imagine how difficult it is for kids, and even adults, to go every day pretending to be someone they're not. Kids are so mean and judgmental, especially this generation, and I can only hope that Jacob's example inspires someone out there to not be ashamed of who thery are and speak up. We are all equal.
 
I have always said that I was fortunate enough to grow up in a household that didn't teach me to discriminate others based on their sexual orientation. It's unfortunate that so many other people were exposed to the complete opposite.
 
So while I'm over here being a crabby patty and complaining about little stuff, it makes my heart happy when other people are overcoming their battles with society and standing up for theirselves. Puts my view in a whole different perspective.
 
Now if I can only get these cranky pants off and find some happy ones, I'll feel a little better ;)
 
Ciao.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment