Pages

Followers

Friday, December 14, 2012

Left Unsettled


Newtown, CT will never be the same. 

It is still very difficult to grasp what has happened. So many young, innocent lives taken. And of course, the lives of those who made it their career to protect and educate those little souls. 

I will admit that I have not watched any coverage on this. The media can be so monstrous in depicting real-life events that I'd rather seek out the information from legitimate sources (not saying that these "legitimate" sources are 100% accurate). As a Political Science major, I was taught that the media will misconstrue and twist every detail around  just to get the publicity that they need/want. For that reason, I was taught to really research the facts. Not just what Mr. & Mrs. CNN-NBC-FOX (gag) people want me to believe. These innocent lives that were taken were feeling more than any of us will ever be able to understand. Their horrific and unfortunate demise do not deserve to be exploited. 

And then comes the ultimate question: Why did this happen?

As someone who always needs to have an answer to everything, an explanation for this tragedy will never replace those lives. Even if we get an answer, we're still left with the horrible realization of what really happened. And with questions comes blame. We are a nation that loves to blame someone else for our problems. Some people are blaming gun control, insufficient mental health programs, and God. This is isn't God's fault. This isn't the fault of a gun being purchased. Adam Lanza willfully did what he did. It's always easier to point the finger to something or someone else and I can understand why people are doing it in this case. But instead of jumping to conclusions and putting the blame on others and turning this into yet another political war, embrace your life and your loved ones who share it with you. I'm a huge believer in prayer and God, but God didn't do this. This doesn't mean that Adam Lanza "needed" God. He was a human being who had a choice. He chose to do what he did today. God is aware of this. God has his own reasoning for this. But it's not His fault. 

I'm a gun advocate (hence my desire to become a police officer) and I am already seeing people battling it out because many believe that guns are the problem. I could not disagree more. Guns do not possess feelings. Guns do not wake up and say, "Today, I'm going to take the lives of 26 innocent lives." The person who decided to pull the trigger is the murderer, not the gun. I have a friend who said that there aren't these types of mass shootings in Europe because they have gun control and how America should adopt those same policies. While I see where he is coming from, it's illogical. Yes, Europe has complete different gun laws (I lived in London for 5 weeks), their police officers do not even cary guns, but just because it works for them does not mean it will work for us. For one, the European lifestyle is COMPLETELY different than ours. It would take DECADES for our society to even remotely mimic theirs. There is already too much money and power invested in the firearms industry, it just wouldn't work. 

My heart aches for all of those parents who will not have the joy of seeing their little ones anymore. The pain of seeing all of their unopened Christmas presents. The confusion and anger that they will probably harbor for the rest of their lives. I can only hope that with every day that passes by, they seek comfort with their loved ones and hold on to the beautiful memories that they shared with their children. They will one day meet again. 

I came to visit my parent's this weekend after not having done so for 2 weeks. I came sick beyond belief and even at 25 years old, I still have the privilege of coming home to parents to take care of me. Their love and admiration for me is no different at 25 than it was when I was 5. And it kills me that those parents won't ever experience that. 

My deepest prayers, thoughts, and condolences go out to all those affected by this tragedy. Love everyone in your life, tell them that you love them every day, and never forget just how short life can be. It only takes one second for a person's life to be changed forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment